We absolutely love beetroots, whether the traditional purple variety or candied beetroots (which are delicious but a little harder to get hold of. This sweet vegetable is extremely versatile and while it is delicious raw and grated into salads, this cooked beetroot salad is quite a treat too.
You can prep the elements of this salad a day in advance and just mix on the day bringing, the beetroot to room temperature before serving, making it a great one to make in a batch or for serving to friends as a healthy lunch or a smaller portion for a great starter.
4 small beetroots, peeled and cut into wedges
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of feta cheese (crumbled)
2 tablespoons of roasted pistachio nuts roughly chopped
Sprinkle of sumac
1 handful of rocket
Drizzle of pomegranate molasses
Serves: 2 as a side, but could work as an appetizer or light lunch (you may wish to add an extra beetroot for a light lunch).
Preparation time: 10min
Cooking time: 1 hour + cooling time
- Peel beetroots and cut them into wedges.
- Place the beetroots on a greaseproof paper lined tray or in oven proof dish and mix with 1tbsp of oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 tsp of cumin powder, mix so pieces are evenly coated.
- Place into preheated oven (180 degree fan).
- After 20 minutes shake and stir and put back into the oven.
- Roast for a further 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast and cool the pistachios in a pan on the hob or in the oven and then allow to cool before roughly chopping.
- Remove beetroots (after their 1 hour cooking time) and drain excess of oil by placing them onto paper towels and allow the beetroot to cool.
- Plate up a handful of rocket and drizzle with pomegranate malasses.
- Add cooled beetroot and top with 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese.
- Add a further drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
- Finish with roughly chopped, toasted pistachio nuts and serve.
This vibrant and tasty salad will brighten up any meal. The contrast of the deep purple beetroots, vibrant green pistachios and white and creamy feta really makes this plate sing.