Gluten and dairy free cookies, yup, hitting two big intolerances and allergies in one. Now I’m first to admit I’m not much of a baker at the best of times and I really do not have the inclination for the faff, which is why on all the recipes on here, this is the first cookie and baking one I’ve done.
Cookies are an easy one to do and these are simple enough to bake with kids. They’re low on effort but make for an excellent sweet treat with coffee or tea. You can of course switch up the cranberries and chocolate for variations of nuts and white chocolate or raisins, essentially whatever takes your fancy and of course you can swap in dairy products, if you’re only looking for gluten free.
225g caster sugar
1 whole large egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g of gluten free, plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
100g dairy free chocolate chips
100g of dried cranberries
Prep time 20min plus and 1 hours chill time and 12 mins cooking time per tray (the number of batches will depend on your oven capacity).
Serves: Makes 18 cookies
- Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla essence into the bowl and mix well.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and salt to form a soft dough.
- Fold in chocolate chips and cranberries until evenly dispersed.
- Roll into 18 equal sized balls and place on trays in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Pre heat your oven to 160 degree fan/ 180 degree C)
- Transfer in batches of around five cookies to a grease proof paper-lined trays (remember they will spread as they cook, so give them room. And only transfer to baking paper as you’re ready / have room for them to go straight in the oven. They work best from cold, so if you can blast them in the freezer for an hour that will work too.
- And bake for 12 mins in pre heated oven (160 degree fan/ 180 degree C)
- Allow to cool and then enjoy!