The quesadilla is such a humble meal, but done right, it is supremely tasty, filling and cost effective. From mid-week meals, to speedy, comforting lunches or having friends over to enjoy a bite or two, a quesadilla is a great choice for numerous occasions. This quick and easy dinner will definitely become a firm favourite.
Of course, while we have opted for mushrooms here, you can mix it up with sliced peppers, onions, or any other number of combinations to create the perfect quesadilla filling.
Try to opt for vegetables that aren’t too ‘wet’ – as these might make your wrap soggy.
For ease and speed we have chosen to use shop bought wraps, these are readily available in most big supermarkets, but if you’re feeling particularly adventurous you can make your own corn or flour tortillas for your quesadillas. This is a great way of involving kids in the cooking process too as the dough is super simple to make. I’ve linked to a recipe here: TORTILLAS – and at some point we will take you through our own taco and tortilla process.
Packet of shop bought wraps (flour – white or wholemeal / or corn) – use one wrap per serving.
2 chestnut mushrooms finely chopped (will work with other mushrooms)
2 cups of cheese – we prefer to use manchego, but you can easily substitute this with cheddar or use a mix.
Spray oil (or use a teaspoon of regular oil and a paper towel to evenly spread it around your pan.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Chop and fry the mushrooms
- Lay a wrap out on a plate and fill one half with half the amount of cheese and half of the cooked mushrooms.
- Fold the wrap in half to create a semi circle and press down.
- Wipe the pan clean from the mushrooms, you may wish to add a little more spray oil.
- Pre heat the pan, so that it is hot when the wrap goes into the pan, so it starts to cook straight away.
- Place the folded wrap into the pan carefully, so not to lose any cheese. Fry for 1-2 mins until brown on the bottom and then flip over and repeat for 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat for remaining wraps
- Cut each wrap into 4.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole