We’ve talked about our love of tomatoes and our passion for avocados before, so it comes as no surprise that at some point we were going to combine two of our favourite foods together.
This dreamy salad is super simple to make and even more delicious to eat. Vibrant in colour – thanks to the beautiful heirloom tomatoes and packed full of vitamins, this is a salad you’ll happily whizz up again and again.
Like with the heirloom tomato and feta salad, this makes for a great, light side as part of a larger meal but will also make for a great light lunch, served with some toasted sourdough or why not mix in a grain such as freekah or tabbouleh to make it more filling? This heirloom tomato and avocado salad will also make a great starter as part of a larger meal too. Tasty but not too filling, we know you’re going to love this one.
If you’re struggling to get hold of heirloom tomatoes, you can always use a mix of widely available red tomatoes, such as beef, cherry, piccolo and salad tomatoes to create the variety. You’ll still get plenty of vibrancy from your avocado and it will still taste great!
250g heirloom tomato
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle of EVOO
Juice of half a lime
1 avocado – diced
Quarter red onion cut into rainbows
Add 1/4 tsp of finely chopped chilli for a bit of a kick – adjust to personal taste preference.
Looking to up your protein? Add half a tin of kidney beans to this salad.
Preparation time: 10 mins
- Chop/slice a quarter of a red onion into ribbons, lightly salt and leave to one side.
- Chop tomatoes into 2-3cm cubes and place in a salad bowl – if using cherry tomatoes, slice these in half. You can play with the scale and size of tomatoes to suit your personal taste.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander.
- Drizzle over EVOO and stir
- Salt and pepper to taste (remember you have salted the onions so you may want to skip salt here or go easy.
- Add juice of half a lime
- Add in 1 diced avocado.
- (If adding in chilli and or kidney beans, add those here)
- Stir and plate.
- Top with sliced onions.